Your questions answered

Category types:
Survey Types General Contact

The Party Wall Act and drains

Tags:   |  Party Wall  |  3 Meter Notice  |  6 Meter Notive  |  The Party Wall Act  |  Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors  |  extensions

Question: I understand that the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 covers any excavation work within 3 to 6 meters of a neighboring building depending on the depth of the hole or proposed foundations. Does the act also cover any preexisting waste water drainage system that may be affected by any excavation or building work?

Habitable for a mortgage?

Tags:   |  Mortgage  |  habitable room  |  lender valuation  |  building society loan

Question: Looking to buy a property which has been extended.Planning permission granted and building control have inspected works at the required times. She has run out of money and is selling In its current condition.The extension is built and windows fitted.There is a bathroom. The property is finished to plastered walls but no internal doors. There is a kitchen room but no kitchen fitted. There is a sink and running water. She has a small plug in oven. Would this class as habitable for Mortgage?

Repairs to a house after a car crash

Tags:   |  Building Survey  |  Building Insurance  |  Building Repair  |  Repair after structural alteration  |  Building Regulations

Q: I'm a first time buyer and have seen a house I really like. However, when doing some research about the house and the area I've discovered that a year ago a drunk driver crashed into the house and the kitchen and bathroom were destroyed. You can't tell by looking at the house that anything happened to it, however I'm concerned that this might cause problems down the road. In your experience is this likely to be the case?

Lease Extension Valuation Advice

Tags:   |  Lease Extension  |  Leasehold Valuation  |  Enframchisement  |  RICS  |  Lewis Emms  |  Registered Valuer  |  Valuation

Q: How do I find out how much my lease extension is likely to be?  I don’t want to start negotiations if there is no way I can afford it. 

Retro fitted Cavity Wall Insulation

Tags:   |  Cavity Wall Installation  |  dampness  |  Cornwall

Question: We are considering purchasing a house which has had CWI injected into it. I've read a great deal around it and not much of it is positive! The CWI was installed in 2007 and the exterior and interior walls all seem fine - no cracks, no damp patches, no damp smell, no mould, no ruined paint work etc. House faces east-west and is on an estate, mid terraced, surrounded by trees and is quite low down and sheltered. It is in Cornwall so rain and wind is part and parcel. Whats your opinion of Inj.CWI?

Can I stop my neighbour building by using the Party Wall Act?

Tags:   |  Party Wall Act  |  London Party Wall  |  Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors in Harrow  |  Chartered Surveyors in Harrow

Q - My neighbour has sent me a notice headed Party Wall etc. Act 1996 section 6, about some building work he is doing. I do not agree with the extension he wants to build, it is ugly and too big for our street. If I dissent from the works, can I stop him building it?

Do I need an Asbestos Survey and Fire Risk Assessment for my flat?

Tags:   |  Fire risk assessment  |  asbestos  |  asbestos management plan  |  flat purchase survey  |  home buyer  |  asbestos in flats

Q: I am selling a 2 bed ground floor conversion flat in Hackney, London. Mr buyer’s solicitor says my Freeholder needs to provide a Fire Risk Assessment and Asbestos Management Plan for the building. We don’t have any contact with the building’s Freeholder, so I thought I would arrange these for myself. There is no communal hall. This is bizarre.

Our building insurance is index linked do we need a valuation for insurance?

Tags:   |  Valuation for insurance  |  Insurance costs  |  sum insured  |  rebuilding cost  |  reinstatement cost  |  BCIS  |  RICS  |  Building Surveyors London  |  Homebuyer  |  House Survey London  |  flats insurance

Firstly, always remember that the amount you insure your building for has nothing to do with its value or purchase price.

I am buying a house, what type of survey do I need?

Tags:   |  House Survey London  |  House purchase survey  |  Homebuyer  |  Building Survey  |  Structural Survey London  |  Valuation  |  Condition Report

Each property is unique varying by; when the property was built, what materials were used to build it, what condition the property is in and its market value.

Is it possible for me to be present during the survey?

Tags:   |  Survey Inspection  |  Accompany Survey  |  Building Surveyors London  |  Homebuyer  |  House Survey London

If you wish to meet the surveyor at the end of the inspection please let us know at the booking stage so this can be built into your quotation.  Arrangements also need to be made with the seller or their estate agent.

During the inspection, the surveyor needs to be undisturbed so he can focus on the job in hand.  This will benefit both you and the surveyor and provides for better reporting.

Would it be possible to discuss the survey one to one with the survey so I can get a better understanding of the report?

Tags:   |  after survey discussion  |  building survey  |  reporting  |  verbal  |  house purchase survey  |  flat purchase survey  |  Structural Survey London  |  structural investigation

Our surveyors are very happy to discuss the results of their inspection with our clients, within the context of the survey type you have requested.  

We recommend that you take time to read the surveyors report carefully, make a written note about anything you wish to discuss about the report and then telephone us on 020 8423 4001.  If your surveyor is out on survey (which surveyors often are) leave a message with one of our friendly team when you are available.

If you require a discussion of more than 15 minutes or so (or further communications), please let us know so that time can be booked with the surveyor and fees agreed.

Can you email me the report?

Tags:   |  Survey Report  |  pdf  |  adobe acrobat file  |  digital survey report  |  schedules

All our Survey Reports are sent by email to you as Adobe Acrobat pdf files.  Not only is this ecologically friendly, faster and better value for you, but our clients have found it easier to use - extracting the bits they want to show perhaps their builder or solicitor, rather than sending their bound paper copy.

Want to ask our experts a question?

Enter your question here and we will respond via email as soon as we can. For urgent enquiries please contact us.

Characters used:
0 / 500

Please note we reserve the right to use selected questions and answers in our FAQ section.