Your questions answered

  • Fire board and fire protection

    Q: I live as a property guardian, part of my area there is a locked closet that was promised to be part of my area to use. The reason they are giving me now is, that the closet is locked off because there is a window on the inside, which faces an internal brick wall (this is an old Victorian school) and it would need a fire board put up. I was told that a quote of £400 was made to attach a fire board, which I'm assuming they mean includes materials and labour. The window is about 1.2 meters wide and maximum 2 meters high. Can that quote really be true? Also, what quality of fireboard is good enough for approval and does it need to be attached by a specialised craftsman or is it allowed for a private person with many years of experience to do it?

  • Lease Extension valuations

    Question: Is the valuation of the flat that is included as part of your Lease Extension valuation the same price I should market my flat for if I am selling it?
  • Party Wall etc. Act 1996 & Drainage Systems

    Question: I understand that the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 covers any excavation work within 3 to 6 meters of a neighboring building depending on the depth of the hole or proposed foundations. Does the act also cover any preexisting waste water drainage system that may be affected by any excavation or building work?
  • Habitable for a mortgage?

    Question: Looking to buy a property which has been extended.Planning permission granted and building control have inspected works at the required times. She has run out of money and is selling In its current condition.The extension is built and windows fitted.There is a bathroom. The property is finished to plastered walls but no internal doors. There is a kitchen room but no kitchen fitted. There is a sink and running water. She has a small plug in oven. Would this class as habitable for Mortgage?
  • Repairs to a house after a car crash

    Question: I'm a first time buyer and have seen a house I really like. However, when doing some research about the house and the area I've discovered that a year ago a drunk driver crashed into the house and the kitchen and bathroom were destroyed. You can't tell by looking at the house that anything happened to it, however I'm concerned that this might cause problems down the road. In your experience is this likely to be the case?
  • Lease Extension Valuation Advice

    Question: How do I find out how much my lease extension is likely to be?  I don’t want to start negotiations if there is no way I can afford it.
  • Retro fitted Cavity Wall Insulation

    Question: We are considering purchasing a house which has had CWI injected into it. I've read a great deal around it and not much of it is positive! The CWI was installed in 2007 and the exterior and interior walls all seem fine - no cracks, no damp patches, no damp smell, no mould, no ruined paint work etc. House faces east-west and is on an estate, mid terraced, surrounded by trees and is quite low down and sheltered. It is in Cornwall so rain and wind is part and parcel. Whats your opinion of Inj.CWI?
  • Can I stop my neighbour building by using the Party Wall Act?

    Question: My neighbour has sent me a notice headed Party Wall etc. Act 1996 section 6, about some building work he is doing. I do not agree with the extension he wants to build, it is ugly and too big for our street. If I dissent from the works, can I stop him building it?
  • Do I need an Asbestos Survey and Fire Risk Assessment for my flat?

    Question: I am selling a 2 bed ground floor conversion flat in Hackney, London. Mr buyer’s solicitor says my Freeholder needs to provide a Fire Risk Assessment and Asbestos Management Plan for the building. We don’t have any contact with the building’s Freeholder, so I thought I would arrange these for myself. There is no communal hall. This is bizarre.

  • Can you email me the report?

  • Is it possible for me to be present during the survey?

Want to ask our experts a question?

Enter your question here and we will respond via email as soon as we can. For urgent enquiries please contact us

Character's Used 0 / 500

Please note we reserve the right to use selected questions and answers in our FAQ section.